What Are the Benefits of a Storm Door?
Installing high-quality exterior doors, especially your entrance door, is very important to the energy efficiency, security, and curb appeal of your home. It’s also important because you want your exterior doors to last as long as possible, which means that they need to be built out of durable materials. Because they are located on the exterior, they tend to be vulnerable to wear and tear due to their exposure to the elements. This wear and tear can end up compromising their energy efficiency, security, and curb appeal over time. It’s why you might want to consider installing a storm door as well.
What is a Storm Door?
A storm door is basically a secondary door that’s installed in front of an exterior door, such as the entrance door. It’s not nearly as durable as a regular entrance door, but its purpose isn’t the same. A storm door is meant to add an extra layer of protection to the entrance door, specifically against damage caused by storms (hence the name). Most storm doors consist of a large pane of glass or a screen.
Benefits of Installing a Storm Door
Installing a storm door can be beneficial in a number of different ways. The following are the main benefits that a storm door can provide:
- Protect the entrance door from damage. The main function of a storm door is to protect your exterior door from damage. Bad storms can kick up a lot of debris that can damage your exterior doors. A storm door acts as a barrier, blocking debris from reaching the insulated door. It’s not just debris that a storm door will block either. Storm doors can keep rain from causing water damage over time as well as help prevent heat from the sun from causing your exterior doors’ colors to fade.
- Enhance security. Storm doors do have locks. While they aren’t as durable as exterior doors (meaning that they can be more easily broken into), storm doors will add another layer of security that intruders will have to get through before they can even reach the exterior door. Additionally, if you want to leave your exterior door open in order to let fresh air in, a storm door can help prevent people or animals from just walking inside.
- Improve energy efficiency. Energy can leak through some exterior doors — especially older exterior doors that have experienced some wear and tear and may not be as efficient as they once were. Storm doors can help add a layer of insulation to prevent energy from leaking into or out of your home. They are also helpful for keeping your home energy efficient even if you leave your exterior door open in order to let in more sunlight.
- Bring in more natural light. Speaking of letting in more sunlight, with a storm door in place you’ll be able to leave your exterior door open during the day if you want to let more natural light into your home. The storm door will prevent you from compromising your home’s energy efficiency or security should you choose to do so.
- Improve airflow while keeping debris out. If you choose a storm door with a screen, then you can leave your exterior door open in order to let fresh air in. The storm door will allow fresh air to flow through the screen while still keeping debris and bugs from entering your home.
Ask About Our Storm Doors Today
Here at Armorvue, we offer several different storm door options that come in a variety of designs and colors. For more information about the storm doors that we carry, contact us at Armorvue today.
“Very knowledgeable staff!”
Schedule Your FREE In-home Estimate!
Let’s take the next step and schedule your free no-obligation in-home estimate today!