Look for These Features When Buying Replacement Windows
Window replacement is one of the most popular and common home improvement projects for homeowners to perform. Despite the popularity, the process of selecting the right windows and features can quickly become overwhelming as there are so many different options available on the market today.
Durable Window Materials
Make sure to select durable window materials that will stand up to the weather conditions and elements of your area. Common window material choices are wood, aluminum, vinyl, and fiberglass.
- Choosing a window style is often a matter of personal preference, but also a design consideration based on what exists in an older home, and how you want the windows to look from the inside.
- Casement Windows pivot on hinges located on the side of the window frame and open like doors. They’re usually taller than they are wide.
- Double-Hung Windows slide up and down and offer a traditional look.
- Sliding Windows offer an unobstructed view as only half of the window opens. They are often less expensive and low maintenance.
- Bay Windows make a dramatic statement and have the ability to make a room look and feel larger.
When selecting window replacement options for your home, energy efficiency is an important factor. Energy efficient windows will make your home more comfortable but will also help lower your monthly energy bills.
Other Window Features and Options Available
- Tempered Glass: Tempered glass is a type of safety glazing. Instead of shattering when broken, the glass crumbles.
- STC (Sound Transmission Class): STS is the rating of a window to indicate how well it reduces noise from outside. A higher number means less sound is transmitted through the window.
- Double Strength Glass: Double strength glass is thicker and resists breakage better than single strength glass.
- Rough Opening Dimensions: Rough opening dimensions indicate the size opening the window will fit. The actual dimensions of the window are smaller than the rough measurements to allow for installation materials to fit.
- Grids or Grilles: Grids or grilles are available with some windows to mimic the look of a window composed of multiple, smaller panes of glass.
Additional Factors to Consider When Buying Replacement Windows
Consider How Much Maintenance is Required
As a homeowner, how much maintenance are you prepared to do on your new windows? If your answer is “As little as possible” then consider vinyl windows. To maintain vinyl windows, all you need to do is occasionally wipe them down with a dry cloth to remove loose dirt and dust.
Consider the LifeSpan of the Windows
While it’s nearly impossible to predict exactly how long windows will last, there are some rough estimates that you should keep in mind while window replacement shopping.
Vinyl windows often last for 30 years before they need to be replaced, whereas fiberglass windows can last for 50 years before a window replacement is necessary.
Select the Right Window Installation Company
You can buy the most beautiful windows available, but if you don’t select the right installers for the job, then it could result in financial disaster.
Select a local, reputable window installation company to ensure that the job is done correctly. They should be licensed, bonded and insured, experienced with window installation and repair, knowledgeable when it comes to the various window materials and types of windows, prepared to install your windows promptly to avoid exposing your home to the elements, recommended by other homeowners in your area, and ready and willing to offer a warranty. We’ve been installing windows in this area for decades and we understand this is a big investment. Contact Armorvue Home Exteriors today for a virtual appointment to talk about new windows for your home today!
“I was in the market for an enclosed sunroom to be added to my home. I met with 4 different companies and traveled to two of the manufacturing facilities to do my research. In the end, I decided on Armorvue who uses Joyce Manufacturing, an Ohio based company. Armorvue was not the cheapest bid nor […]
Schedule Your FREE In-home Estimate!
Let’s take the next step and schedule your free no-obligation in-home estimate today!