5 Ways to Know You are Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
Eventually the time will come when you will be faced with the task of purchasing a new roof. Since roofs aren’t something that need to be replaced often, many homeowners find themselves in unfamiliar territory over knowing how to go about choosing the best roofing company for the job. Here are some things to look for.
1. Proof of Insurance
When you meet with a potential roofing contractor to get an estimate on a new roof, ask them to provide proof of insurance and licensing upfront and verify that it’s valid. It’s important to note that they need to have insurance and licensing in the state that your home or property resides in. Making sure they’re properly insured is a crucial step in ensuring that your investment is totally protected.
2.They’re an Established Local Company
In order to fully protect your investment, it’s always a good idea to hire a local roofing company that has an established business and long, upstanding reputation in the community. For instance, let’s say something goes wrong with your roof within the standard five-year warranty period and you hire a roofing contractor that hasn’t been in business very long or is lacking history. How can you be certain they’ll even still be in business five years down the road?
3.They’re Worth the Investment
Purchasing a new roof is a significant investment so it’s only natural that you’re concerned about price but try not to fixate too much on the cost. Remember that you get what you pay for, so choosing the cheapest contractor doesn’t always mean you’re getting the best deal. If installation isn’t done properly you’ll have costly repairs in the future.
4. References and Testimonials
A reputable roofing company will have no problem providing you with references and customer testimonials to support their products and services. In order to ensure you’re getting the highest quality of work, make sure to follow through with checking out references and testimonials prior to actually hiring anyone. It’s important to make sure that your contractor comes highly recommended by others who have personally worked with them before.
If you’re unsure of what to ask references, you can start with these questions:
- Does your new roof perform as expected?
- Did the roofer start and end the work on time?
- Did they clean up their mess?
- Were there any mistakes and how did they fix them?
- Did they stay within the estimated budget?
- Did they act professionally and are they easy to communicate with?
5. Avoiding Red Flags
Knowing how to spot the signs of a less than reputable roofing company can be tricky if you’ve never had your roof replaced before. Here are some examples to look out for:
- Offering a low starting bid- If their bid is far below other competitors, this should raise some questions and concerns. Get estimates in writing, and compare line by line what is included. Sometimes sneaky roofers will offer a low bid but leave out important line items like removal and disposal of the old shingles. That low bid quickly becomes competitive if they come back to say they need more money to cover things that were “accidentally” overlooked through the estimating process.
- Lack of communication-If your roofing contractor is impossible to contact and never returns your calls, or resorts to high pressure sales tactics, replace them for someone with solid communication skills.
- Requesting Payment Up front-A reputable company won’t request full payment before a job is performed.
- No Written Contract-Never enter into an agreement without a written contract. If they won’t put it in writing, walk away.
- No References-if they’re unwilling to provide you with a list of references, it’s in your best interest to continue searching for another roofing company.
If you’re looking for a reliable, professional roofing company you can trust, Armorvue Home Exteriors has your back. Contact us today for a virtual appointment to discuss installing a new roof on your home this season.
They did a very good job. Replaced my roof and were super nice workers. I had some issues, but they talked to me for a while and we worked it out, so I’m happy with the results.
Schedule Your FREE In-home Estimate!
Let’s take the next step and schedule your free no-obligation in-home estimate today!